Understanding Income Tax on Marriage Gifts
Table of Content
Marriage is a significant event in one’s life that is celebrated with much joy and festivities, and exchanging gifts is a common tradition. However, many people are unaware of the tax implications of receiving such gifts, especially concerning income tax. In this blog, we will discuss the income tax on marriage gifts and the essential facts that one needs to know.
What is a Marriage Gift?
A marriage gift is any gift given to a person during their marriage, including cash, jewellery, property, or any other valuable asset. While it is customary to exchange gifts during a marriage, it is crucial to understand the tax implications of receiving such gifts.
Tax Implications of Marriage Gifts
Under the Income Tax Act, any gift received by an individual is subject to tax, except in certain circumstances. Let us understand the tax implications of marriage gifts in detail.
- Gifts Received from Relatives: Gifts received from relatives, including parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins, are exempt from tax. Therefore, if a person receives a gift from any of these relatives during their marriage, it is exempt from tax.
- Gifts Received from Non-Relative: Gifts received from non-relatives are taxable if the total value of gifts received during a financial year exceeds Rs. 50,000. This means that if a person receives gifts worth more than Rs. 50,000 from non-relatives during their marriage, it will be subject to tax.
- Gifts Received in Cash or Kind: If a person receives gifts in cash or kind during their marriage, it is subject to tax if the value exceeds Rs. 50,000. This means that if a person receives cash gifts or gifts in kind worth more than Rs. 50,000 during their marriage, it will be subject to tax.
- Tax Rate on Marriage Gifts: If the value of the marriage gift received by an individual exceeds Rs. 50,000, it is subject to tax. The tax rate on such gifts depends on the relationship between the recipient and the donor.
How to Avoid Tax on Marriage Gifts?
While gifts received from relatives are exempt from tax, gifts received from non-relatives are taxable if the value exceeds Rs. 50,000. However, there are certain ways to avoid tax on marriage gifts.
- Gift Deed: If a person receives a gift from a non-relative during their marriage, they can ask the donor to execute a gift deed. A gift deed is a legal document that proves that the gift was given without any consideration. This can help to avoid tax on the gift.
- Clubbing of Income: If a person receives a gift in the form of cash or property, they can avoid tax by clubbing the income with that of the donor. This means that the income from the gift will be taxed in the hands of the donor and not the recipient.
- Splitting of Gifts: If a person receives gifts from multiple non-relatives, they can split the gifts into smaller amounts to avoid tax. This means that if a person receives gifts worth Rs. 60,000 from two non-relatives, they can split it into two gifts of Rs. 30,000 each, which will not be subject to tax.
Marriage gifts are a way of expressing love and affection towards the newlyweds. However, it is important to understand the tax implications of receiving such gifts. Gifts received from relatives are exempt from tax, while gifts received from non-relatives are subject to tax if the value exceeds Rs. 50,000. By following the above-mentioned tips, one can avoid tax on marriage gifts and enjoy the festivities without any worry. It is always advisable to consult a tax expert to understand the tax implications of receiving gifts during marriage and take appropriate measures to avoid any tax liability.
File Income Tax Returns
Filing of Income Tax return is necessary if you have earned any income. File your ITR with EbizFiling at INR 1199/- only.
About Ebizfiling -
I took a TM service for my Tea Brand, wonderful service with humble staff, and provided solutions on time. Recommended for all
EbizFiling helped us with our Indian subsidiary company formation from start to finish. The customer service, knowledge, technical know how and communication was amazing. The delivery of services were timely and as per schedule. Thanks team and congratulations on the job well done. I recommend EbizFiling to any local or international company that wants to start operations in Incredible India.
Amazing team. They had a word with me post working hours and solved all my queries related to tax consultancy. I highly recommend the services.